295. Dion Scott

Player Inductee

295. Dion Scott

Ulverstone/Devonport/Sydney Swans/Brisbane Bears/Brisbane Lions/Redland, Forward/Ruckman, 1987-2003

6 games for Ulverstone, 1987
Around 20 games for Devonport, 1988
6 games for Sydney, 1990-92
49 games, 39 goals for Brisbane Bears, 1993-96

24 games, 22 goals for Brisbane Lions, 1997-99
Around 50 games for Redland (QAFL), 2000-03
Ulverstone U/17 Best and Fairest, 1986
Ulverstone U/19 premiership, 1987
Tasmanian Teal Cup U17, 1987

Devonport TFL Premiership, 1988
Tasmanian State of Origin, 1993
Allies v Victoria, 1997

A powerful forward/ruckman whose promising early career was severely curtailed by injuries, Dion Scott’s time at AFL level could have delivered so much more than it did. Born in Ulverstone, Scott enjoyed a distinguished junior career, including an U/17 Best and Fairest and U/19 premiership at Ulverstone as well as multiple underage representative honours. He subsequently moved to Devonport in order to play state league football, making his debut for the Blues (as Devonport were known at the time) in 1988 under the guidance of Roland Crosby. Playing a key ruck/forward role for Devonport in one of their most successful ever seasons, Scott’s 190cm and 100kg frame was an imposing presence on the field even at just 18 years of age, and on Grand Final 1988 day he kicked two goals as Devonport easily overcame Glenorchy by 43 points in a fiery confrontation at North Hobart Oval. At this point, Scott’s potential had been spotted from the mainland, and it was the Sydney Swans who were most taken by him, taking Scott with their first round selection – Pick 8 – in the 1988 National Draft.

Unfortunately, Scott’s time in Sydney was mired by constant injuries, the most serious of which occurred when he injured vertebrae while training with the Swans at Maroubra Beach in 1991. As a result he managed only six senior appearances in the harbour city before being traded by the Swans to the Brisbane Bears after the 1992 season.

Scott’s four seasons with the Bears were the high point of his career. He made 49 senior appearances, including 19 in 1995 when Brisbane charged into the finals for the first time in their history, with Scott forming a potent forward line combination with Roger Merrett, Darryl White and Craig McRae amongst others, as well as sharing the ruck duties with Matthew Clarke. Following another 13 games in 1996 – including the Bears’ three finals – Scott was retained by the new Brisbane Lions following the Bears’ merger with Fitzroy. Unfortunately, injuries struck once again post-merger, with Scott restricted to just 24 games in three seasons with the Lions, and he eventually retired at the end of the 1999 season at the age of just 29. Blessed with a strong pair of hands and great physical strength, it is a tremendous shame that his all too often fragile body – and a resulting 32 individual surgeries – restricted him to just 79 games in 11 seasons at AFL level.

He remained in Queensland after retirement, ending his career with playing and coaching stints at Redland in the QAFL, before turning his hand to business as the owner of a successful packaging company in Brisbane.