293. Andrew Vanderfeen

Player Inductee293. Andrew Vanderfeen

Ulverstone/Port Adelaide/South Fremantle/Clarence, Key Forward, 1971-1987

127 games for Ulverstone, 1971-73, 1976-79, 1986-87
98 games for Clarence, 1979-83
3 games for South Fremantle, 1979
Ulverstone Best and Fairest, 1977
Ulverstone NWFU Premierships, 1976, 1986
Ulverstone NTFL Premiership, 1987
Ulverstone State Premiership, 1976
Clarence TFL Premierships, 1979, 1981
Clarence Leading Goalkicker, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982
Multiple Tasmanian State Representative, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1982
Ulverstone Team of the Century
Clarence Team of Champions

An eye-catching key forward, a very strong contested mark and a man who had a strong physical presence to his game, Andrew Vanderfeen was undoubtedly one of the pre-eminent forwards in Tasmanian football throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s. He debuted for Ulverstone in 1971 as a raw 15-year old, and was soon rubbing shoulders on the field with some legendary names, such as the iconic Darrel Baldock. After two seasons he was scouted by St. Kilda and began training with the Saints in 1973, although he continued to fly down to Tasmania on weekends to play for the Robins.

After not making a single appearance for the Saints in Victoria, he moved to South Australia in 1974 and joined Port Adelaide, playing for two seasons with the Magpies and earning a third place finish in their reserves Best and Fairest. Vanderfeen returned for a second stint with the Robins in 1976 and became a mainstay of the legendary Ulverstone side who took out the NWFU and State premierships that year, while also winning his only Best and Fairest at the Robins in 1977. After an unsuccessful stint with South Fremantle in WA, he again returned to Tasmania, but not to Ulverstone as before. Recruited by Clarence in mid-1979, Vanderfeen became a major forward target for the Roos, winning the club’s goalkicking for four consecutive seasons from 1979-1982 as well as being a member of the Roos’ 1979 and 1981 premiership teams, kicking two goals as the Roos stunned red-hot favourites Glenorchy in the classic ‘79 decider.

After five seasons with Clarence, a third interstate stint took him to NSW, where he coached firstly North Wagga and then East Wagga from 1984-85. Finally, he returned to where the entire journey began – in the red and black of Ulverstone – ending his illustrious career with back-to-back flags in 1986-87. In five Grand Finals with Ulverstone and Clarence he never played in a losing side – a remarkable achievement, and his services to his two Tasmanian clubs was honoured with selection in both Ulverstone’s Team of the Century and Clarence’s Team of Champions. In recent years he has become one of the most vocal barrackers on the north-west coast, with his constant calls such as “Here come the Robins!” ever-present at most Ulverstone matches.